860.435.6789 (office) | 860.201.3964 (cell)

tannerGrant | Narrative Description | Annotated Images | Maps & Details

Click above Image for Large View

From Google Earth

With Topographic overlay

Open space in 1942



West view from Upper Observation Gazebo

East view from Upper Observation Gazebo

North aspect


Aerial 2


Aerial 4

Tax Map

Topographical contours, streams and soils

Streams and soils

Soil type descriptions

View Larger Map

About Tanner Grant:

Tanner Grant, in southern Columbia County, encompasses almost 300 acres of meadows, forest, streams and ponds. Numerous trails and a one and half mile of private country road traverses the property.

Originally the home of Job D. Tanner (1795 - 1875) and his wife, Mary de Lamater (1794 - 1855), the property consists of four separate parcels, two of which are original Livingston family land grants, one of approximately 150 acres, on which the original farmstead is located, and the other of approximately 120 acres. A large portion of the land grants are still surrounded by their original 200-year-old stonewalls.

The town of Livingston, New York was divided in 1803 and the town of Gallatin was founded. In 1814, the name Gallatin was changed to Ancram. In 1830, Ancram was itself divided and a new town of Gallatin was created. On March 27, 1830, Job D. Tanner was elected the first Commissioner of Schools and the first Justice of the Peace for the town of Gallatin.

Job D. Tanner lived at Tanner Grant in Ancram, New York until his wife Mary's death in 1855 when he sold the property to John Vosburgh. Tanner Grant continued to be a working farm until the Depression. In the early 1930s the artists Winold Reiss and Erika Lohmann purchased the property.

Winold Reiss (1886-1953) arrived in Greenwich Village in 1913. The son of a painter, he had studied art in his native Germany and soon was contributing to the leading art publications of the day. His 1919 design for the Crillon Restaurant, recognized by scholars as the first modernist interior in the US, led to important commissions throughout the country. Murals for the 1939 World's Fair further extended his recognition and brought financial stability allowing Reiss to pursue other avenues of interest. Chief among these was portraiture.

Reiss painted his first portrait of an American Indian in 1916. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s he made almost yearly pilgrimages to Montana to spend time with the Blackfoot Indians. His Indian portraits, as well as his portraits of members of the Harlem Renaissance, were exhibited throughout the country in the late-30s and 1940s.

Erika Lohmann (1901-1984) was born in Hamburg, Germany. At age 4, she became the youngest student of the great American dancer Isadora Duncan. Duncan chose her six best students to accompany her on tour, and between 1905 and 1909 Lohmann performed publicly with Duncan over 70 times throughout Europe and Russia. In 1909, a French poet dubbed the six girls "the Isadorables". In 1912, the girls moved with Duncan to Paris and at the start of World War I, the Isadorables were sent to New York where they made their American debut at Carnegie Hall in December 1914. Erika Lohmann toured internationally with the Isadora Duncan Dancers until they disbanded in 1921. It was then that she turned to painting and began her studies with Winold Reiss.


• A separate 4-acre property with a three bedroom caretaker's house located across Route 82 is available for separate purchase.

• The property has two entrances, one on Doodletown Road and one on Route 82, which are joined by 1 1/2 mile private road.

• Due to the fact that the road that traverses the property was once public, the house is blissfully quiet and secluded, located in the center of the property uncommonly far from the today's public roads.

• The largest of several ponds on the property is spring fed. It is swimmable and equipped with a small dock and a swimming platform.

• Two meticulously crafted Adirondack-style gazebos offer views in opposite directions• one west across the Hudson and towards the Catskills, and the other east over the farmstead and on to the Taconic Mountains.

• The main house is a Greek revival eyebrow colonial build ca.1840, with additions ca. 1880, ca.1940, and ca. 1970. It has three bedrooms and two fireplaces.

• Out buildings include two seasonal guest houses: An 1850s converted barn overlooking the large pond with a kitchen, bath and sleeping loft; a 1930s artist's studio with a bath, kitchenette and wood burning stove; an 1890s barn with a picturesque cupola equipped with a caretaker's shop, parking for utility vehicles, and a storage loft (this building moved from Davenport, NY in 2007); and a third barn used as a two-car garage.

860.435.6789 (office)
860.201.3964 (cell)
327 Main Street
Lakeville, CT 06039


Updated: Andrew Hingson [lic CT, NY, MA]